This might vary from one service provider to the other. There are some service providers that connect your existing telephone system with the internet without the need of purchasing any additional equipment or make other hardware changes. However, most of the credible service providers make use of computer systems in order to make or receive calls.
Such VoIP service providers make use of an adapter to connect the telephone with the internet. You will be able to make and receive calls through the internet by using the computer. You might need a microphone and a headphone in order to speak to and hear the person at the other end. Some service providers might even allow you to make calls through their specialized VoIP telephone handsets, which have to be bought as an aftermarket accessory.
Best VoIP Systems of 2019
|Editor's Choice 2019|
- Can a VoIP Phone System Be Hacked?
- Can I Keep Using My Existing Phone Number?
- Can I Send Faxes with a VoIP System?
- Can I Use My Old Phone Hardware with My VoIP?
- Can VoIP Be Used for Texting?
- Do I Need Extra Equipment for a VoIP Phone?
- Do I Need to Turn on My Computer to Make VoIP Calls?
- Does a VoIP Phone Have Good Voice Quality?
- Does VoIP Use TCP or UDP?
- Does VoIP Work Over Wi-Fi?
- How Does VoIP Work?
- How Much Data Does VoIP Use?
- How Much Does VoIP Cost?
- Is a Virtual Phone System Safe?
- Is VoIP Reliable for Business?
- Is VoIP Worth It for Small Businesses?
- What Are the Benefits of a Virtual Phone System?
- What Is a PBX?
- What Is a Softphone?
- What Is a Virtual Phone System?
- Will My VoIP Slow Down My Internet Connection?